Projects for final theses (Bachelor/ Master)
You will findmore detailed information on the theses offered under the topics listed below. The contact persons for the respective theses are also listed there. Please apply directly to the contact persons!
If you do not find any information about the respective contact person, you are welcome to contact our secretariat susanne.warth∂kit.edu or beate.skolik∂kit.edu - your request will then be forwarded internally. Please let us know in your mail which topic you are interested in and in which time frame you plan to do the work. We will get back to you as soon as possible if a suitable topic can be offered for you.
BIW or CIW students can find the registration requirements and more detailed information on the Bachelor's thesis (please scroll down) and the Master's thesis here. The thesis must be registered no later than four weeks after it is started. Here you can find a schedule.
Biologists please register at the examination office before starting the bachelor thesis. The registration conditions and the registration link can be found here and for the master thesis here. For registration please print out the pdf-file and send it together with a current grade transcript toNicole Jänsch and Simone Lepoutre(building 30.43; room 003).
Currently, we offer the following topics, among others:
This assignment can be worked on as a bachelor's or master's thesis:
- Effect of total pressure on hydrogen productivity with p. thermoglucosidasius under identical CO partial pressure (more information).
- Optimization of the cultivation medium for lipid production by oleogenic yeasts - starting February 2023 (more information)
Hydrogen production from carbon monoxide with Parageobacillus thermoglucosidasius: Establishment of a continuous fermentation (more information)
- Testing the toxicity of pyrolysis aqueous condensate from the thermal conversion of plastic waste or sewage sludge on a mixed microbial community grown on pyrolysis gas (more information)
The following doctoral theses have already been supervised at the Institute of Technical Biology:
- M. Sc. Fei Peng - Production of Lignin-Based Aromatic Amino Acids with Computational Designed Phenylalanine Aminomutase from
- M. Sc. Rebecca Hollenbach - Glycolipids for foaming applications - from synthesis to structure-function realtionship
- M. Sc. Olga Gorte - Towards an optimized lipid production with unconventional oleaginous yeasts
- M. Sc. André Delavault - Lipase-catalysed synthesis of glycolipids - utilization of innovative media, reactors and substrates
- M. Sc. Marcus Stabel - Fungi For Future - Biotechnological application of anaerobic fungi
- M. Sc. Alba Infantes-Lopez - Advancing towards biomass-derived syngas fermentation
M. Sc. Teresa Mohr - Hydrogen Production by Parageobacillus thermoglucosidasius
M. Sc. Carolin Lohmann - Enzymatic Production of Chiral Non-Canonical Amino Acids with Decarbamoylating Enzymes
- M. Sc. Florian Oswald - Upgrading the toolbox for fermentation of crude syngas: process characterization for complete carbon usage, cyanide adaptation and production of C4 components.
- M. Sc. Oliver Buß - ω-Transaminase as Promising Biocatalysts for the Chiral Synthesis of β-Amino Acids.
- M. Sc. Stefan Dörsam - Evaluation of Renewable Resources as Carbon Sources for Organic Acid Production with Filamentous fungi
- M. Sc. Christin Slomka - The Hydantoinase Process - Toward β-Amino Acids and Cell Free Reaction Systems
- Sarah Dold - Enzymatical and Microbial Degradation of β-Amino Acids via Transaminases
- M. Sc. Johannes Kügler - Screening, production and characterization of extracellular microbial surfactants (2015)
- M. Sc. Judi Willenbacher - Evaluation of Different Process Strategies for the Production of Surfactin: Investigations on Producer Strains and Conditions (2015)
- Dipl. Biol. (t.o.) Julia Andre - Immobilization of Trypsin for Peptide Synthesis and Hydrolysis Reactions (2015)
- Dipl.-Biotechnol. Ines Schulze - Microbial Lipid Production with Oleagineous Yeasts (2014)
- M. Sc. Martin Pöhnlein - Investigation on the enzymatic Synthesis of novel glycolipids (2014)
- Dipl. Ing. Marius Henkel - Layered Modeling and Simulation of Complex Biotechnological Processes (2014)
- Dipl.-Nat. Ulrike Engel - Towards a modified hydantoinase process for the chemoenzymatic production of chiral β-amino acids (2012)
- Dipl.-Biotechnol. Barbara Hörmann - Production of microbial rhamnolipids with non-pathogenic strains (2012).
- Dipl.-Biochem. Mareike Perzborn - Microbial and enzymatic hydrolysis of cyclic dipeptides (diketopiperazines) and establishment of analytical methods for the detection of reactants and products (2012).
- Dipl.-Biol. Markus Andre - Chemoenzymatic production of peptides and acyl peptides, spectrophotometric, chromatographic and MALDI/ToF/MS analyses of the products as well as characterization of the surfactant properties (2012)
- Dipl.-Biol. (t.o.) Vanessa Walter - New Approaches for the Economic Production of Rhamnolipid Biosurfactants from Renewable Resources (2011).
- Dipl.-Biotech. Markus Michael Müller - Optimization and Characterization of Microbial Rhamnolipid Production from Renewable Resources (2011)
- Dipl.-Biol. Katrin Brzonkalik - Process Development for the Production of Alternaria Toxins in a Bioreactor (2011)
- Dipl.-Geoökol. Birgit Brucher - Novel Transaminases for the Biocatalytic Synthesis of Aromatic β-Amino Acids (2011)
- Dipl.-Ing. Ivana Magario - Enzyme Reaction Engineering for the Conversion of emulsified Di-Rhamnolipid by free and immobilised Naringinase (2008)
- Dipl.-Biol. (t.o.) Frank Leitermann - Development and optimization of a biotechnological process for the production of microbial rhamnolipids based on renewable raw materials (2008)
- Dipl.-Biol. (t.o.) Ralph Dürr - Screening and Description of Novel Hydantoinases from Distinct Environmental Scources (2008)
- Dipl.-Biol. Sebastian Rühle - Basic Investigations on the Biotechnological Cultivation of Sponges - Energy Balance in Aplysina aerophoba (2008)
- Dipl.-Biol. Matthias Voigt - Biotechnological methods for the cultivation of sponges (2009)
- Dipl.-Biol. Andreas Politzer - Detection and identification of Alicyclobacillus as well as other harmful bacteria in food raw materials using the polymerase chain reaction (PCR) (2009)
- Dipl.-Biol. (t.o.) Nadja Schultz - Application of Magnetic Separation Technology for the Recovery and Reuse of Immobilsed Lipase of Candida antarctica A-Type (CALA) (2007)
- Dipl.-Biol. (t.o.) Karlheinz Bretz - Biomass Recycling of a Riboflavin Fermentation: Lysis, Extract Production and Fermentation (2006)